Ok, ok I’ve had a break. I suspect I’m the only one who really noticed so I won’t dwell too long on it. But I’m back, dressed in black and ready to go. Instead of a January on the radar post, I’m going to have a little ramble about what my intentions are for the rest of the year. I know it’s now February so let’s just pretend January never happened. Although as it goes, it wasn’t such a bad one for me. I’m lucky that nothing awful happened, and then I think the key is just ‘acceptance’ and trying to have as good a time as possible. It seemed to work.
So what am I aiming for in 2016:
– Finish the kitchen. There’s not really much that needs to be done apart from build some shelves. I’ve got so many cook books, I need somewhere to put them. The carpenter is booked. It should be done by the end of February. Photos will follow.
– Get rid of the old kitchen. We’re currently doing an ‘Ed (two kitchens) Miliband’ and have a second kitchen. We’re not even making hot drinks or awkwardly eating bacon sandwiches in it. So it has to go. Again the builder is booked. I have plans for a light-filled office. I’ll share a few before shots and some inspiration soon. Then hopefully the after shots too.
– Make a start on the lounge. It’s covered in woodchip wallpaper and has a green carpet. Which isn’t as horrible as it sounds. But still.
– Sort my bedroom out. This is all about the storage. And decluttering. It NEEDS to be done.
– A mum at my son’s school is Japanese and raised the idea of a house swap with a friend who is coming to London this summer. We were up for it. Although it may not now happen after all. The seed has been sowed. We want to go to Japan. It might not happen in 2016, but it WILL happen goddammit.
– There are also a few breaks in the UK planned and I really want to go to Amsterdam. I blame Instagram for this. Seems a lot of people I follow have been recently. Always inspires a bit of wanderlust. Last time we went was 8 years ago.
– I’ve also got a trIip to Barcelona planned. It’s not until September so I’ve got a little time to get excited/plan.
– I need to start documenting my reads in ‘A Year in Books’ again, if only to remind me later what I read. It’s interesting to look back on what you read. Some books stay with you, and you think about them lots. Others are fleeting.
– I’m also thinking of doing a little round up at the end of each month. I try to do things in London but never quite get round to putting them on here. Must make more effort.
– I’m not getting any younger. Although I’ve always been pretty lucky with my skincare – ie it’s minimal and my skin doesn’t seem to suffer…I’m starting to think I might need to do a bit more. I definitely need to make more effort on my grooming; you know nails, eyebrows, haircut that kind of thing.
– I’ve become mildly obsessed with a few fashiony Instagram accounts. They are inspiring me to make a bit more effort on the clothes front too. It’s very easy to get stuck in a rut. I may share some of the inspiration and what I’ve been wearing (I may not though as I find selfieing in front of a mirror excruciatingly embarrassing.)
– 2016 will be the year I find a job I like. Nothing to add to this.
OK – that’s enough to be getting started on. I must admit I did also start 2016 with a lot of the same old mantras – eat less, drink less, exercise more yada yada. But these improvement ideals are not confined to the New Year for me. I have these resolutions all year round. And to be quite honest, I need to think like this. If I decide not to try, that’s when the rot really does set in. I ‘let it all hang out’ in the couple months before Christmas…letting my healthy intentions fall by the wayside, and the results were not pretty. I honestly think I’m happier when I am trying.