I had big plans for this blog. I wanted more recipe posts, especially healthy ones. I had plans for one salad a week – it seems I wasn’t the only one. Last week, Lia from Dizzy Loves Icy posted a recipe for a delicious looking kale salad, along with the promise that she would do this once a month (she also had the desire to do one a week but like me, life got in they way). Now we’ve hooked up for a little Instagram fun – we’re going to tag our gorgeous salad creations #getyoursaladon.
So in the nick of time, here’s my January salad. It combines sweet blood orange, creamy mozzarella and bitter radicchio. I think it works rather well. It’s light and fresh, yet still manages to be decidedly wintry.
Serves 2: Adapted from Alice Hart’s Vegetarian
2 blood oranges
1 ball buffalo mozzarella
Half a head of radicchio
1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 slices sourdough bread
Salad leaves such as rocket or spinach
- Heat oven to 180 c. When hot enough, put bite sized pieces of sourdough onto a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and put into oven for 15 minutes. Turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cut top and bottom off oranges, then carefully remove the peel round the curve of the orange, keeping the round shape. Then cut into thin discs. Ensure you collect the juice from the oranges.
- To make the dressing, add the juice from the oranges, the red wine vinegar, a tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper and mix.
- Tear the radicchio into leaves.
- Arrange the oranges, raddichio, salad leaves in a serving bowl.
- Tear the mozzarella into bite sized pieces and put in the bowl with the oranges and leaves.
- Remove the croutons from the oven and scatter over the salad.
- Mix the dressing and drizzle over the salad.